Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Animal Tracks

This week we have been learning about the great out doors. For the most part this has been an excuse for us to spend as much time out doors as possible now that it is not 110 degrees out. We have gone on long walks. We have played in the yard. We have collected little treasures and brought them home to keep in our treasure pots. It has really been lovely.

So lovely, in fact, that I haven't had to do a whole lot of planning. I just sit back and watch the kids enjoy nature. This activity was one exception. We have been reading books which have featured some animals that are common to see in these parts like deer, squirrels, and rabbits. I found some images in a curriculum book that showed different backyard animals and the types of tracks they made and I used the book to recreate the tracks for this little magnet game.
I was a little rushed pulling this together. Please don't judge!
I'm noticing what terrible handwriting I have! Good grief!

 
First I drew a picture of each animal (fox, deer, squirrel, rabbit) and glued it on to a metal lid. Next, I took a piece of foam board and drew 4 paths. Using the book I drew animal tracks down each path. I gave the girls a key to show what animal made what tracks and the girls used a magnet to lead their animal down the appropriate track.



The girls quickly learned how to use the key to figure out which tracks belonged to which animals and had fun trying to work the magnet to get the animal moving. Much of the rest of the day was spent out in the yard looking for real tracks. I think all they found were snails and worms though.

I linked this post with...



and with

Show and Share Saturday Link Up
Science Sparks

5 comments:

  1. What a great nature game! I might have to make something like this for after our nature hike next week. Thanks for sharing on It's Playtime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely! I think it came out really nice looking!
    I found it cute how you said the girls went outside looking for tracks. That's exactly what my sister and I would've done as well. We'd probably imagined seeing all kind of tracks and would've told our parents we saw all these animal tracks out there :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristin@Sense of WonderOctober 13, 2011 at 3:45 PM

    Oh thank you! I tend to over analyze my self with things like this, especially if I get rushed! But it was a lot of fun. I remember as a girl going on long, "adventures" outdoors. I made up stories about myself as some famous explorer, so this sort of activity was right up my ally!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks fantastic! I know my children would love it.

    Thank you so much for linking to Fun Sparks. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great idea! My 4 1/2 year old is going to LOVE this- he's all about animals & tracks :) A great rainy day idea for our family. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I am really sorry about the word verification. I have been getting TONS of spam and this is the only way I can get a handle on it. I do love to hear what you have to say and hope that you will still take the time to comment. Thank you.