Wednesday, October 19, 2011

More Dinosaurs (as promised)

As we continued this week with our D is for Dinosaur unit we ended up with a plethora of activities. The girls played with a new dinosaur sensory tub, they pinned spikes on to a stegosaurus and they made fossils out of coffee grounds!

Sensory

First, let me tell you about our dinosaur sensory tub. A few quick changes made swapping out our creepy crawly tub for a sensory tub easy. I kept the black beans as a base and kept the colorful bones because they tied in so nicely with our dinosaur bones that we dug up in the yard. I took out the snakes and lizards and added our small dinosaur toys.This was a fun tub and playing with all of the dinosaurs in the tub was a great way for the girls to process some of the information they had learned about dinosaurs. At lunch Birdy and CC brought the little dinosaur toys out from the box to dine with them. All through lunch they would say things like, "Your a plant eater, would you like my raisin?" or "You have sharp teeth you don't like raisins, would you eat my sandwich?"



Art



Our next activity is adapted from one that Big Sissy did at church a few years back. They were studying Moses and the 10 commandments. They made these "rocks" out of this dough made from coffee grounds and flour, then stamped pictures in them. We used the same recipe to make fossils from our dinosaurs, plants from the garden and seashells.

To make the "rock dough"...

Take 1 cup of used coffee grounds and 1/2 cup of cold coffee.
Mix it together with 1 1/2 cups of flour (our dough was a little runny so I added another 1/2 cup of flour) and 1/2 cups of salt. Kneed the dough together and then roll it in a ball and place it on a piece of wax paper. Flatten it out in to a flat shape around 2cm thick.
Then find objects to make an impression in the dough. We used the dinosaur toys, bits of rosemary from the garden, and seashells. You could also use a tooth pick to draw your own picture if you like. The dough will eventually dry on its own but it will take forever. To speed things up I stuck mine in the oven for about while on a low temp (around 250). If you live in a humid climate you may have to do this.



A quick note about the pan. This is my craft pan. I use it for things like crayon melting or rock dough, I have lovely pretty pans for when I cook something that someone will actually eat. I don't want to scare people away from my kitchen!
 
Fine Motor
The pattern for the stegosaurus is from a Mailbox. To get a little fine motor practice the girls pinned clothes pins on to the backs of the stegosauruses to create the spikes. CC wanted her's to be coordinated. Birdy wanted to have the most spikes on any stegosaurus ever! It is funny to see the two different takes the girls have on each activity.




3 comments:

  1. Such lovely ideas - I will certainly use the fossil dough idea with my year 1s! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi such lovely teaching ideas thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. very innovative!

    ReplyDelete

I am really sorry about the word verification. I have been getting TONS of spam and this is the only way I can get a handle on it. I do love to hear what you have to say and hope that you will still take the time to comment. Thank you.