Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Father's Day Gift Ideas

My husband likes to make fun of Father's Day by calling it the "Tie and Brute Aftershave Day." For the record, we have never given him a tie or aftershave for Fathers Day. But finding that perfect gift for Dad can be hard. So this year, I have decided to make a list of some out of the ordinary Fathers day gifts to surprise the dad in your life this year.

Make a dent in that "some day" purchase!
In our house, one of the reasons it can be hard to shop for dad is lack of money. If the gift is affordable and he really wants it, he will go and buy it himself. If the gift is more than he can afford, chances are its out of my budget too. So why not start a collection jar for that big purchase? Design it around the theme of the gift and add enough money to get him started.


Make something to keep forever!
For this Fathers Day card we had to kidnap one of his shoes. The kids helped to trace around it and cut it out. Then, starting with my biggest child and working my way down to the smallest, I made foot prints inside the shape of his shoe. I captioned it "We have big shoes to fill." Once it was done we covered the whole thing in Mod Podge and tied a ribbon to the top. Now he has a keepsake to always remind him of how his kids look up to him!


Make his favorite cookies!
Around here, when it is time to make treats, dad sometimes gets left out. The kids usually pick their favorites or I try a new recipe, and though he never complains, sometimes his favorites don't make the menu. Well Father's Day is the time to remedy that! Put his favorites on the menu all day, starting with his favorite breakfast, lunch, dinner and dessert. Or you could take him to his favorite restaurants.

Share a memory!
My husband's favorite book as a child was The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien. For Father's Day this year our eldest daughter has decided to read his favorite book and have a long geeky conversation with him about it. As a book lover, it is always a gift find someone who is excited about the same books to pick them apart with.

 Some other ideas...

Have his car detailed, or have the kids help wash and vacuum out his car.

Give him a coupon good for one evening of uninterrupted video game time.

Take your favorite photos off your iPad and make a photo book for dad here!
Remind Dad he's a hero with these adorable super hero marshmallow pops by Critters and Crayons! <- Click for a video tutorial for how to make the pops for pop!


Remember, Dad doesn't need another pair of socks, but he will never say no to more hugs and kisses! (from mama too)



4 comments:

  1. Thank you for linking up to my marshmallow pops!!!! I think I'm in love with the "big shoes to fill" craft!!!! How awesome is that? I think I know what we'll be doing this year!!!! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the tattoo jar and the "geeky conversation" ideas especially!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those ideas for gifts were really fantastic. do have some more ideas about it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are all gift ideas are so nice and beautiful collections of color.

    ReplyDelete

I am really sorry about the word verification. I have been getting TONS of spam and this is the only way I can get a handle on it. I do love to hear what you have to say and hope that you will still take the time to comment. Thank you.